This is not a brownie for the faint hearted. It’s seriously rich, yummy, gooey and tasty. You’ve been warned.
Servings: 20 small brownies Time: 1 Hour 15 mins Difficulty: Easy
For the Shortbread base
- 120g butter, softened
- 60g light muscovado sugar
- 200g plain flour
- About 5g freeze dried strawberries (optional, but nice)
- 1 – 2 tbsp strawberry jam
For the brownie
- 130g dark chocolate pieces
- 120g butter, diced
- 180g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- A few drops of strawberry essence/flavouring (optional)
- 140g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 – 3 tbsp strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Fan 140C/325F/Gas 3. Grease and line a 23cm/9″ square baking tin. Dust lightly with flour.
- For the shortbread base, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then sift in the flour and add the freeze-dried strawberries, if using. Mix until smooth.
- Tip mixture into the prepared tin and press down firmly*. Lightly prick with a fork and bake for 15 minutes. As it cools, brush with melted strawberry jam. Set aside to cool further.
- For the brownie mix, melt together the chocolate and butter, either over a bain marie or in the micro-wave. Stir until well combined then leave to cool a little.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar and eggs until light and foamy. Add in the melted chocolate mixture and a few drops of strawberry essence, if using, then stir to combine. Sift the flour and salt into the mixture and fold in gently until well combined.
- Spread the brownie mixture over the cooled shortbread base then dot with strawberry jam. Use a palette knife or similar item to swirl the jam and brownie mixture together.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin until fully cooled. Remove from tin and cut into pieces, using a heated knife.
* A small plastic dough or cake scraper is ideal for pressing down the mixture.