Wonderfully rich, gooey, yummy and moreish, this is a great twist on a classic sweet bake. The combination of chocolate, caramel and strawberry is magical.
Makes: 16 squares
Time: 50 minutes + cooling/chilling time
Equipment: 20cm/8” square baking tin
- 190g/7oz plain flour
- 140g/5oz butter
- 60g/2.5oz caster sugar
- Strawberry extract/flavouring (optional, if you have any)
- Freeze dried strawberries (About a tsp or a bit more)
- 100g/3.5oz butter
- 397g/14oz tin of condensed milk
- 100g/3.5oz soft light brown sugar
- 100g – 150g/3.5 – 5oz strawberry jam (About half a standard jar)
- 125g/4oz chocolate (dark, milk or a mixture)
- 25g/1oz butter
- Freeze dried strawberries (enough to sprinkle over)
1. Preheat oven to 170C/ Fan 150C/ 325F/ Gas 3. Grease and line the base of the tin with baking parchment.
2. Place flour in a large bowl then rub in the butter. Add the flavouring (if using) and stir in the sugar and freeze dried strawberries. Knead briefly to form a dough.
3. Press the dough into the tin and stab with a fork a few times. Bake for 25 minutes, until light golden. Set aside to cool.
4. To make the filling, place butter, condensed milk and sugar in a non-stick saucepan over a gentle heat. Melt everything together, stirring continuously then boil for 5 minutes, stirring all the time. Mix well.
5. Allow caramel to cool a little then pour over the shortbread base. Add blobs of strawberry jam and swirl in, using a cocktail stick. If necessary, use a spatula to level the surface.
6. Melt the chocolate and butter, either on a bain marie or use short bursts in the microwave, stirring regularly. Then pour the mixture over the caramel layer and tilt the tin to spread it evenly. Sprinkle over the freeze dried strawberries.
7. Allow to cool. (It could go in the fridge for a while) Cut into squares.
If you’d like make a comment or ask a question go to the contact page.
And finally…….. If, like me, you enjoy playing around with recipes and changing them, here are three ideas for this one that I haven’t tried yet, but may do soon – unless you beat me to it:
- A mocha version. Shortbread + coffee granules, a coffee flavoured caramel, milk chocolate top layer sprinkled with chocolate coated coffee beans.
- A lemon version. Shortbread + lemon zest, Caramel mixed with lemon curd, white chocolate top layer with more lemon zest.
- A peppermint version. Shortbread + crunched up mints or just peppermint flavouring, caramel, maybe with green food colouring, a topping made from After Eight mints