The sponge layers of this delightful cake are moist and tasty with the terrific texture of polenta plus pistachio pieces. And there’s more: between the sponges is a scrumptious creamy filling studded with pieces of strawberry.
Serves: 10 – 12
Time: 1hr 40 min + cooling
Equipment: 2 x 20cm/8” round, loose bottomed tins
- 100g/3.5oz self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 200g/7oz medium ground polenta
- 200g/7oz caster sugar
- 100g/3.5oz ground almonds
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g/7oz full fat Greek yoghurt
- 200ml/7fl oz light olive oil or veg oil
- 50g/1.75oz pistachios, roughly chopped
- Zest from 2 oranges
- 200g/7oz Full fat cream cheese
- 125g/4.5oz icing sugar
- 100ml/3.5fl oz double cream
- About 150g/5.5oz strawberries, chopped small
- 20ml/0.75fl oz Orange juice
- 85ml/3fl oz clear honey
- 30g/1oz pistachios, roughly chopped
- 2g – 3g freeze dried strawberries
Directions1. Preheat oven to 180C/fan 160C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and line two 20cm/8” tins + dust lightly with flour and/or polenta
2. In a large bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder and salt then add and mix in the Polenta, caster sugar and ground almonds.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the beaten eggs, vanilla extract, Greek yoghurt and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and beat well. Stir in the pistachios and zest.
4. Pour the mixture equally into the two tins and smooth the surfaces. Bake for around 40 minutes. Leave in the tins for 5 – 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool fully.
5. For the filling, beat the cream cheese until soft and smooth. Sift in the icing sugar and beat again, slowly at first. Add in the double cream and beat to obtain your desired consistency. Stir in the strawberry pieces.
6. Spread over the lower cake, working right to the edge. Place the second cake on top and press down lightly, but firmly to combine. Run a palette knife or similar utensil round the outside if a smooth layered look is required.
7. For the topping, heat together the honey and orange juice. Allow it to cool a little then brush or pour it over the cake. Sprinkle with the chopped pistachios then add the freeze dried strawberries.
To make a comment or ask a question please go to the contact page.