Servings: 8 – 10 Time: About 2 hours + cooling time Difficulty: moderate
A good, hearty quiche with a tasty mixture of flavours
- For the pastry
- 200g/7 oz plain flour, sifted
- 100g/3.5 oz unsalted butter, chilled
- pinch of salt
- 50g/2 oz walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 large eggs For the filling
- 250g/9 oz spinach
- 200g/7 oz new potatoes
- 3 large eggs
- 250ml/9 fl oz double cream
- grated zest of half a lemon
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 25g/1 oz grated Parmesan cheese
- Small bunch of fresh thyme
- 150g/5 oz Stilton (without rind)
- salt & pepper as required
- Combine the flour, butter and salt in a bowl. Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the walnuts and paprika and mix in thoroughly.
- Beat one egg and mix in with a knife, then beat the second egg and add it in a teaspoon at a time just until the mixture comes together.(There should be enough egg left to brush the pastry case at step 5) Gather the dough into a ball on a lightly floured surface and flatten it into a disc about 2 cm thick. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for half an hour.
- Roll out the pastry between two sheets of clingfilm and use it to line a deep 23cm loose-based flan tin. Prick the base all over with a fork and put back it in the fridge to cool for another 20 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/Fan 160/350F/Gas 4
- Line the pastry case with foil or baking paper and baking beans then bake blind 10 – 15 minutes. Remove the foil and beans and brush the pastry case with beaten egg. Bake for a further 5 – 7 minutes. Leave to cool. Put a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. Filling
- Wash and drain the spinach. Either, cook in a saucepan over a low heat until it wilts down, or microwave according to the instructions on the packet. When cool, squeeze out as much liquid as possible. (This must be done thoroughly to avoid having a very soggy filling.) Chop the spinach finely.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water until just tender (about 10 minutes, depending on size) Drain, then cut into 5mm slices.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl then whisk in the cream, lemon zest, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the spinach and half the thyme.
- Place a single layer of potatoes over the base of the pastry case and add small pieces of Stilton here and there. Carefully spoon over most of the spinach and cream mixture. Put the flan on the heated baking tray then finish filling with the mixture. Finally sprinkle the rest of the thyme on top.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until the filling is golden brown and just set in the middle. Once out of the oven allow ten minutes to cool before serving