Servings: Makes 5 or 6 small rolls of each type
Time: About 2 hr 45 min including rising time
Two quite different, but equally tasty, types of roll from one batch of dough
- 250g/9 oz strong white flour
- 250g/9 oz wholemeal bread flour
- 10g/about 1/3 oz salt
- 7g/about 1/4 oz instant yeast
- 75ml/3fl oz olive oil
- 250ml/9fl oz water
- around 100g/3.5 oz seeds of your choice
- 1 tsp paprika (or 2 tsp if you want them very spicy)
- 1 tsp chilli powder (or 2 tsp as above)
- Mix flours, salt and yeast in a bowl. (Keep the salt and yeast well apart until mixed into the flours.)
- Add the olive oil and mix, either by hand or in a stand mixer with the paddle tool.
- If using a stand mixer, change tools and fit the dough hook. Otherwise, pour the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic-like (10 – 12 minutes by hand, about 6 – 7 minutes with the dough hook.
- Round the dough into a ball and place into an oiled bowl. Cover with cling film or a damp tea towel and leave for at least an hour to double in size.
- Line two baking trays.
- When the dough has doubled, take it out and punch it down, then divide into two halves.
- Add seeds into one half and the spices into the other.
- Weigh each half then divide into the number of rolls required (5 or 6 small ones)
- On a lightly floured surface create “tight” balls of each weighed piece and pinch together any loose dough underneath each ball of dough. (You’re aiming for a taught outer surface)
- Space the rolls out on the baking trays and put each tray inside a plastic bag for their second rise. (The white “swing bin” liners are an ideal size.) Inflate the bag and fold loose bits under the baking trays. Leave for about 30 – 40 minutes. Halfway through this time turn the oven on to heat up to 220 degrees C/Gas 7 (Fan oven 200C)
- When they’ve risen, use a very sharp knife or razor blade to cut slashes across each roll. Then either brush each roll with beaten egg or dust with flour; possibly add seeds to the seedy rolls.
- Bake for about 15 minutes (check after 12)