Servings: 12 Time: Around 20 mins preparation time + 10 – 12 mins in oven
Wonderfully moreish, these melt-in-the-mouth treats appeal to adults too, if the kids give them a chance to grab one.
- 200g/7 oz plain flour
- 50g/2 oz milk chocolate chips (or similar size pieces from a bar)
- 1/2 tspn Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 tspn Baking powder
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 125g/4 oz Smarties (or similar sweet)
- 75g/3 oz Unsalted butter, softened
- 50g/2oz Light brown sugar
- 50g/2oz Caster sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (fan 160)/gas 4. Grease and line two baking trays.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, chocolate chips, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt and half the sweets.
- In another bowl, beat together the butter and two sugars until it’s light and fluffy. Gradually add the beaten egg while still beating the mixture. Then fold in the mixed dry ingredients and fully incorporate.
- Take large tablespoons of the mixture and roll each into a ball. (*see tip) Space the balls well apart on the baking trays then flatten them a little and push 2 – 3 of the remaining sweets onto each one, varying the colour mix for visual appeal.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until just set. Remove from oven and allow 5 minutes rest time (for you as well as the the cookies) before placing on a wire rack to cool fully.
N.B. The cooled cookies should still be fairly soft rather than crisp and crunchy.
*Lightly flour your hands to make it easier to roll the mixture into balls.