Love scones? Me too. And these light, fluffy and delicious ones are very lovable. The combination of tangy rhubarb and sweet white chocolate works a treat.
Makes: 16 scones
Time: About an hour + cooling
- 400g/14oz self raising flour
- 350g/12oz strong white flour
- 200g/7oz rhubarb, peeled and diced + extra sugar if necessary*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 175g/6oz unsalted butter
- 125g – 150g/4 – 5 oz white chocolate pieces or chips
- 300ml11 fl oz milk or buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten, or more milk to glaze
* Unless the rhubarb is really sweet you may need to toss it in 25g of extra sugar and leave for five minutes before adding to the mixture.
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/Fan 170C/375F/Gas 5. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment. If necessary, toss the rhubarb in sugar and set aside.
2. Sift the flours and baking powder into a mixing bowl then stir in the sugar. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
3. Add in the rhubarb and chocolate then about two thirds of the milk. Mix to create a soft, slightly wet dough, adding more milk along the way as necessary. Take care not to overmix.
4. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Bring it together gently and briefly then roll out to about 3 – 4cm/ 1½” thickness. Stamp out scones with a 6cm or 7cm cutter and place on the baking sheets. Brush the tops lightly with beaten egg or milk.
5. Bake for around 20 – 25 minutes, until well risen and golden coloured.
I hope you enjoy baking and eating these delicious scones. For more lovely scone recipes click here.
If you’d like to make a comment or ask a question please do, via the contact page.
Two scones that I’d really like you to try are these – my: Cheddar and Parsley and my Honey and Almond.