Here’s a great recipe for a super quick, super easy, light and tasty sponge cake. Not only that, but it produces almost no washing up. That’s surely enough to make it “great”.
Makes: Just about enough for a hungry son (4 – 6 slices)
Level: Dead easy
Time: Really quick – less than an hour
Need: A 20cm/8” square baking tin & a medium saucepan (no bowls, no mixers, no hassle.)
Credits: I first saw this great method for a quick and easy sponge cake on a YouTube video by a young lady called Georgia. Worth a visit – “GeorgiascakesUK”
NB I made this for my son, who likes rum and milk chocolate, so I just had to make him a chocolate rum buttercream filling. If you prefer a non-alcoholic version, there’s an alternative.
- 140g/5oz Butter
- 125g/4½oz Caster sugar
- 2 Medium eggs
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 125g/4½oz SR flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 25ml/1fl oz Milk
CHOCOLATE RUM BUTTERCREAM/STANDARD BUTTERCREAM
- 75g/2½oz Butter, softened SAME
- 150g/5½oz icing sugar SAME
- 20g/¾oz cocoa powder OMIT
- 40ml/1¼fl oz warmed rum USE MILK
1. Melt butter in the saucepan on a very low heat. Brush some melted butter into the tin & line the bottom & sides with baking parchment. Turn oven on to 180°C / Fan 160° / 350°F / Gas 4.
2. Add the sugar into the melted butter and mix to a thick paste. Allow it to cool.
3. Lightly beat the eggs and add in the vanilla extract. Pour into the cooled butter mixture and mix.
4. Sift in the flour & baking powder and mix. Stir in the milk.
5. Pour into the tin and bake for about 30 minutes. Leave in the tin for about 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool fully.
6. For the buttercream, whisk the butter until light and fluffy then sift in the icing sugar and cocoa powder.
7. Stir gently to mix then add the warmed rum (or milk) and beat more vigorously.
8. When the cake has cooled, trim the edges and cut it vertically into two rectangular “slabs”. Layer these using the buttercream. (If you have enough or want to make extra you could put a layer on top, otherwise dust with icing sugar or cocoa powder.)