These wonderful blondies are rich, gooey and oozing flavour. They remind me of the Tina Turner song: “Simply the best”. Maybe she was singing about these very blondies. Anyway, they’re certainly something to make a song and dance about – promise.
Makes: 16 squares
Time: 40 – 45 minutes + cooling time
Equipment: A 20cm/8” square tin
- 200g/7oz white chocolate – chips or small chunks. 150g/5½oz to melt; the rest as chips
- 100g/3½oz butter
- An orange
- 1 tsp orange extract (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g/3½oz white caster sugar
- 100g/3½oz self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 50g/1oz blueberries
- Icing sugar to dust
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C / Fan 180C / 400F / Gas 6. Butter and line the tin with baking parchment.
2. Either in a bain marie or the microwave, melt together 150g/5½oz of the chocolate and all the butter. Zest the orange and put half in this mixture, reserve the rest for scattering on top later*. Stir in the orange extract, if using. *N.B. Wrap the reserved zest and place in fridge to avoid it losing its vibrant colour.
3. In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs and add in the vanilla extract and juice of the orange then stir in the sugar.
4. When cool, stir in the melted chocolate mixture. Add in the reserved chocolate pieces.
5. Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt then drop the blueberries into this dry mixture and swirl around to coat them. Gently mix these dry ingredients into the wet mixture until everything is fully combined. Pour into the tin and level.
6. Bake for 15 – 18 minutes. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes then cut and remove, or take out in one piece then cut. Cool fully on a wire rack and decorate the top with the remaining orange zest and sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
Click this link for more tasty traybake recipes. Two of my special favourites that I’m sure you’ll love too are these: Coffee and Cream Brownies and Lemon Millionaires Shortbread.
Or have a look at my site for lots of other great recipes. If you’d like to make a comment or ask a question please do, via the contact page.