Probably not the neatest looking bake, but these dairy free bars are packed with yumminess. Sweet without being sickly, these are a tasty treat for any time during the day. And dead easy to make.
Credit: Taken from “101 Cakes and Bakes” (BBC books) with a few minor changes
Nutritional information: Per bar 145 calories, 4g protein, 19g carbohydrate, 6g saturated fat 1g, fibre 2g, added sugar 3g, salt 0.13g
- 100g/4 oz whole blanched almonds
- 250g/9oz dried apricots
- 85g/3oz porridge oats
- 85g/3oz plain flour
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 250ml/9fl oz apple sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or similar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- Pre-heat the oven to 180° C (Fan oven 160°)/Gas 4. Grease and line the base of an 18cm/7″ square tin
- Roughly chop the almonds into largish pieces and finely chop the apricots
- Put all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl mix together the apple sauce, oil and egg. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour the combined mixture into the prepared tin, level the surface and bake for around 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then loosen the sides and turn out onto a wire rack
- Warm the apricot jam then brush it over the bars
- Cut into 15 slices