Multi-coloured Cheesecake

This is a colourful, fun cake, but it’s also seriously tasty and has a lovely light texture – not as dense as some baked cheesecakes. In short: fun to make, great to share and eat.

Serves: 12+   

Time Base: 15 minutes + fridge time. Cheesecake: 90 minutes + cooling time and chilling overnight     

Level: Fairly easy

Tins: One 23cm round cake tin or flan tin, loose bottomed, foil wrapped


For the base

  • 300g/11oz crushed biscuits (I used Oreos here)
  • 150g/5oz melted butter
  • 25g/1oz golden syrup

For the Cheesecake

  • 600g/22oz full fat cream cheese, like Philadelphia
  • 150ml/5fl oz soured cream
  • 225g/8oz caster sugar
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1½Tbsp cornflour
  • Zest of a whole lemon + juice from half
  • 4 or 5 Food colours (I used Dr Oetker tubes.)


1. First, make the base. Crush the biscuits finely.

2. Add melted butter & Golden syrup.

3. Mix until breadcrumb consistency and fully coated.

4. Press mixture firmly into the lined tin. Sit the tin on one or two large sheets of baking foil and bring edges up above the tin. Place in the fridge for about an hour.

5. When ready to make the cheesecake, preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/Fan 160C/350F/Gas 4. Place a baking tray in the oven.

6. Put all the cheesecake ingredients, except the food colourings, into a large mixing bowl and beat well until fully mixed and smooth.

7. Divide the mixture between 4 or 5 small bowls (depending on how many colours you intend using) and add food colouring to each one to create the desired depth of colour. NB Heavy use of some colouring agents could have a slightly negative affect on the flavour.

8. Randomly pour the coloured mixtures into the tin then gently but firmly run a skewer or similar item through to create a marbled effect. Take care not to overdo this otherwise the colours will not be distinctive.

9. Bake for 50 – 55 minutes. Look for a firmness round the edges but a wobble in the middle. Turn off the oven, but leave the cheesecake in with the door ajar for 1 – 2 hours, until cooled. Chill in the fridge overnight.