Servings: a batch of 8 + more possibly Difficulty: easy
Time: 2 hours 45 min, including rising time
These neat little loaves look great, especially at a dinner party. The following recipe is for a very basic white bread, but can be adapted. Try a wholemeal version.
- 500g strong white bread flour
- 10g salt
- 7g instant yeast
- 350ml tepid water To make mini-loaves you will need a suitable tin. Brownie tins work well.
N.B. The above amounts should give you more than enough for eight mini-loaves. If you’re fortunate enough to have a 12 hole tin then you may even get 12 mini-loaves. If not, either work fast and do a second bake or make some ordinary round rolls and bake for about the same time.
- Brush melted butter into each space of the mini-loaf tin.
- Mix together the dry ingredients, keeping the salt and yeast apart.
- Gradually add in the water and mix until you have a firm, moist dough. (This can be done by hand or in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.)
- Knead the dough. On a lightly floured surface, by hand, for about 10 – 12 minutes. In a stand mixer change to the dough hook attachment and use it on slow speed for about 7 – 10 minutes.
- Put dough in an oiled bowl, turn it over a few times to pick up some of the oil, then cover the bowl with cling film or a damp tea towel. Leave for 1 – 2 hours or until it has doubled in size.
- Tip the risen dough out onto a lightly floured surface and punch it down to remove any air pockets. Knead it a few times then weigh it in order to divide it into eight pieces.
- Fold and shape each piece, using the palm of your hands to draw the outer skin down and under each piece. Pinch together any loose dough underneath and then pop them in to the spaces in the mini-loaf tin.
- Put the loaf tin inside a large plastic bag and inflate to create a micro-climate for the second rise. (I find the white swing bin liners ideal.) Leave for about 40 – 50 minutes. Meanwhile turn the oven on to 210 degrees C/Fan 190C
- Flour the tops lightly, then use a sharp knife or razor blade to cut 2 – 3 diagonal slashes on top of each mini loaf. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes. Check after 10. (Small loaves will bake very quickly.)