Sun-dried tomatoes, Olives and Basil combine in this healthy wholemeal loaf to create a taste of the Mediterranean and all in under an hour.
Makes: Two medium sized loaves
Time: 50 – 55 minutes or less
Equipment: No special items required
Calories: Approx. 300 calories per 100g of bread
- 250g Plain white flour
- 250g Wholemeal flour
- 20g Bicarbonate of soda
- 10g Salt
- 100g Sun-dried tomatoes, dabbed a little to remove some oil, then chopped
- 50g Black olives (or green ones), halved
- 20g Basil leaves, chopped
- 70g Butter, melted or softened
- 300ml Buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 200C/ Fan 180C/ 400F/ Gas 6. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment and flour it lightly.
2. Put all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
3. Add the flavourings and mix in, making sure they don’t clump together.
4. Make a well in the centre and pour in the butter then the buttermilk.
5. Mix well and work together by hand to form a stiff dough.
6. Tip the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and work together briefly, hardly kneading at all.
7. Divide into two roughly equal pieces and shape into balls. Flatten slightly and cut a cross in the top of each.
8. Place onto baking tray, dust lightly with flour and bake for 30 – 35 minutes. Check by tapping for a hollow sound, which means they’re baked.