Here’s a super healthy, gluten free bake that’s packed with fruit and seeds and flavour. It’s Nordic in origin, but this is my version of a Mary Berry recipe.
Makes: A medium loaf that cuts into about 10 – 12 slices
Time: 15 – 20 min prep., then 45 min in the oven
Level: Very easy
Need: A 900g/2lb loaf tin, ideally with a shaped paper liner
- A little butter for greasing or use a paper liner
- 4 large eggs
- 50ml/1¾fl oz olive oil
- 50g/1¾oz soft dried dates, finely chopped
- 50g/1¾oz dried apricots, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 250g/9oz seeds of your choice (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, chia, poppy etc.)
- 150g/5½oz pistachio nuts finely chopped
NB The fruit gives the loaf sweetness, but if you want it sweeter still 50g/1¾oz of sugar could be added in.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / fan 160°C / 350°F / Gas 4. Grease the base and sides of the loaf tin and line with non-stick baking paper, or simply insert a paper liner.
2. Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk until combined. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
3. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 42 – 48 minutes, until firm in the centre. (It might need covering with foil in the latter stages.)
4. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
If you want more loaf cake recipes click this link. Meanwhile, here are some more that I’m sure you’ll enjoy too and I’d love you to try them: