Light but filling, these tasty squares are excellent on their own, with a salad or with soup.
Makes: 16 squares
Time: 45 minutes
Equipment: 1 x 23cm/9″ square cake tin
Calories: Approx. 217 per square
- Oil or butter to grease the tin
- 140g/5oz cornmeal or polenta
- 140g/5oz plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt (or use garlic salt)
- Black pepper
- 55g/2oz grated cheese (Parmesan, Cheddar, Red Leicester etc.)
- 2 eggs
- 400ml/14fl oz milk or buttermilk
- 55g/2oz butter or Stork, melted
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/Fan 170C/375F/Gas mark 5. Grease the tin and line the bottom and two opposite sides with baking parchment.
2. Into a large bowl, sift the cornmeal/polenta, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Mix together, then stir in 40g/1½oz of the cheese.
3. In another bowl, melt the butter, add the milk or buttermilk then add the eggs. Beat to mix well.
4. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix thoroughly.
5. Stir in the chopped onion, then pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
6. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top evenly. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
7. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes to cool a little, then turn out onto a wire rack and slice into 16 pieces 4 x 4. Eat warm or cold.