This is a lovely refreshing cake that combines sweetness with a fruity tang.
Time: About an hour + cooling time
Need: 2 x 20cm/8” round cake tins, preferably loose bottomed
- 350g/12oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200/7oz light muscovado sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200ml/7fl oz sunflower oil
- 175g/6oz blueberries
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 225g/8oz unsalted butter
- 225g/8oz full fat cream cheese
- 225g/8oz icing sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon + small amount of juice
- Yellow food colouring (optional)
- About 25g/1oz blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 180C/ fan 160C / 350F / Gas 4. Grease and line the tins.
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl with the bicarb soda. Add the sugar and mix.
3. Whisk the eggs and the oil until smooth. Stir the egg mixture into the dry mixture then add the blueberries, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix well.
4. Divide the mixture equally between the two tins and bake for 35 – 45 minutes, until risen and firm and a narrow prong or cocktail stick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool fully.
5. For the filling/topping beat the butter until creamy then add the cream cheese and continue beating until it’s fully incorporated. Mix in the lemon zest and a very small amount of lemon juice. Sift in the icing sugar and continue mixing. If necessary add a little more lemon juice to obtain a firm but workable consistency. (Take care not to make it too runny.)
6. Use half this mixture to combine the cakes and the rest to cover the top*. Add the remaining blueberries to decorate.
6a. *An optional alternative is to keep back a quarter of the filling/topping mixture and colour it yellow. Assemble the cake as above, but for the topping put the white and the yellow mixtures on top in “random blobs” then swirl them over the cake using a cocktail stick.
I hope you enjoy making (and eating) this lovely cake.
If you like blueberries you’ll certainly like my White Chocolate Blueberry Cheesecake. and my Blueberry and White Chocolate Bundt Cake.
If you want more cake recipes click this link. To make a comment or ask a question go to the contact page.