Here’s a no-nonsense cake that’s as simple to make as ABC (Almond, Biscuit and Chocolate, actually) And it’s simply delicious to eat.
Makes: 10 – 12 slices
Time:30 – 35 minutes preparation, 40 – 45 minutes baking + cooling time
Need: A 20cm/8” cake tin, ideally with a loose bottom
- 175g/6oz unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 40g/1¼oz caster sugar
- 165g/5¾oz Self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75g/2½oz ground almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 125ml/4½fl oz full fat Greek yogurt
- 165g/5¾oz dark chocolate pieces*
- 100g/3½oz biscuits, broken into pieces* (I used digestives)
- 75g/2½oz flaked almonds, broken up a little*
* You can vary the ratio of these ingredients provided you total around 225g/11oz – 350g/12oz. Don’t overdo the biscuits though as it may give a dry cake.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C / fan 180°C / 400°F / Gas 6. Melt the butter and use a little to grease the tin, then line the bottom with baking parchment.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy. Sift in the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the ground almonds, melted butter, vanilla extract, almond extract and Greek yogurt. Mix well.
3. Stir in the chocolate, biscuits and nuts and pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Tap the tin firmly onto your work surface a couple of times and level the surface.
4. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes. Check at 40, using a skewer inserted into the middle. If it comes out clean and dry, the cake is ready. Let it cool in the tin for about 10 minutes then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool fully.
NB This cake has a lot going for it in terms of content, but is relatively plain looking. I chose to keep it that way, but if I were to decorate it, I’d do something to “echo” the contents – maybe a light brushing of melted chocolate with a sprinkling of ground almonds and biscuit crumbs on top.
Below are a few that I’d love you to try:
To make a comment or ask a question please go to the contact page.